So the other day when I was working, the fire alarm went off in Kepner (the business college). Low and behold, the Coffee Corner in the basement had badly burned a bagel. It was odd, but I'm glad it was nothing serious. Remembering from all the fire drills I've gone through in my life, you get away from the building. People were sitting on the steps and standing feet in front of the doors. STUPID PEOPLE! If it was a really fire, you would all be eaten in the flames and smoke! STUPID PEOPLE! Well, I guess what really irked me was the few people watching me and I could tell they were wondering why I was standing so far away. *sigh* Well, since the lab I work in is across from the Coffee Cart, I got to finish my shift with the smell of burnt Asiago Cheese Bagel. It actually made me a little hungry because that's the bagel I usually get. But what I found really odd, is after the alarm. As per the rules, I shut the computer lab door and turned off the lights once everyone had evacuated the lab. When I got back to it, two people were sitting in there with all the smoke and left the lights off. I don't know how they got in there in the first place. They weren't even two of the people that were in the lab when the alarm went off. STUPID PEOPLE! The lab was technically closed at that point. They shouldn't have gone in there. *sigh*
Anyways, to get off my rant of stupid people, yesterday was April Fool's day. I wasn't the instigator or receiver of any tom foolery or pranks. Honestly, I don't even really care. There was a time two years ago (last year I was in Japan and completely oblivious to the day) when someone hid a cell phone in the roof tiles and called it repeatedly during class. That was pretty funny! At least it was one of the more chill professors so he just laughed along with us once he figured out it was in the ceiling. LOL!
Alright, but anyway, the main reason why I'm posting today is because April 2nd is Autism Awareness Day! My friend Derek has a character that's very dear and near to his heart that myself and others have come to care for. His name is Kogo! Kogo has Autism and April 2nd is his birthday! So in celebration of Kogo's Birthday and Autism Awareness Day, I would like to share 10 facts about Autism and the people it affects! Before getting to the facts though, I would like to mention one more thing. For those of you who watch or are aware of the hit US TV show "The Amazing Race," this season has a team known as Zev and Justin. Zev is afflicted with Asperger's Syndrome, which is an autism disorder. They are both doing really well and still in the race! (As a side note, this season is a return of teams from previous season's, so they have raced before but didn't end up winning the $1 million.) If you're interested in watching the race or learning more about Zev and his friend/teammate, check out The Amazing Race website! Now, onto the facts!
Derek dress as Kogo's Kingdom Hearts persona Goxko with plushie Goxko at NDK 2009.
10 Facts About Autism & The People it Affects
3. There is no blood test, no scan, and no image that can detect autism. Diagnosis relies on behavioral observation and screening.
4. Autism is more common than childhood cancer, diabetes, and AIDS combined.
5. From the Greek autos meaning “self,” autism literally means “alone.
6. Many children with autism have a reduced sensitivity to pain but may be extra sensitive to sound, touch, or other sensory stimulation—which may contribute to a reluctance to being cuddled or hugged.
7. Approximately 67 million people worldwide are affected by autism.
8. If one identical twin is diagnosed with autism, the other twin has about 90% chance of develop an autistic disorder.
9. The rate of autism is growing at 14% per year around the world. In China it is growing at a rate of 20% a year.
10. As early as infancy, a baby can begin to show the three hallmark features of autism: communication challenges, impaired social interactions, and repetitive behavior.
If you would like to know more about Autism, check out the Autism Speaks website! As always I'll leave you with a customary gif!
Yesung dances for Autism!!